Monday, February 9, 2009

In Honour of Valentine's Day

Being in love – or believing that one is in love – has very interesting effects on people. Every moment and every emotion seems magnified, to the point that people speak in hyperbole and they tell each other all kinds of beautiful lies. They may not be intentionally deceiving, but the giddy feeling of being twitterpated tends to inspire people to say things that are impossible, untrue or both.

“It was love at first sight.”
“We’re all we need.”

You get the idea.

Take one of my favourites in my harem, Takeshi Kaneshiro, often heralded as the Asian Johnny Depp. He began his career modelling and then singing before becoming a “serious actor”, and he actually tried to compose his own music for a while. Of his hits, there’s one in particular that he wrote both the music and the lyrics for. I think this is especially interesting because the lyrics really provide a look into his attitude about love – he has an infamously private and mysterious personality. One of the lines is:

天塌下來有我頂
Translation: If the sky falls, I’ll hold it up.

How sweet and romantic! How dreamy and heartrending! Would you fall for that one? I think I’d fall for that one. Especially if it came from him, or anyone as good-looking as he is – I’m notoriously superficial.

Swoon, swoon, swoon.

I read that as “I will take care of you in the event of an apocalypse.” Okay, maybe I’m being too literal. But he’s saying that he will support you when you’re absolutely desolate. Is there anything more romantic in the world?

Honey, that is a BIG promise. Huge. On the same scale as vowing to love, cherish and honour someone for better or for worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health, forever and ever...and we all know that that particular promise only works out and is upheld literally half the time.

But I think that if everyone were as cynical as I am, especially at such a young age, the world would be a bleak place. So let’s galvanize ourselves into action, yes? Let’s restore some measure of hope in the world. The next time you’re fortunate enough to have someone utter such sweet nonsense to you, just realize how lucky you are, suspend your disbelief and believe them! I promise I will if you do, too. :)

Love,
Me
XOXOXO

No comments: