Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Holy Grail of Flirting?

What's your flirting style?  Do guys really have go-to lines?

I read this article today about "the Holy Grail of flirting" and the pillar of the art, of course, is giving compliments.  The article contains a summary of a study of what the most effective compliments are for women all over the world.  Apparently, Canadian and German sisters like to be complimented on their...
...skin, Spanish ladies like to be told that they have nice hair, Americans like to be complimented on their style, and so on.  But the one universal thing that seems to "work" on all women is complimenting their lips.

I think women like to be complimented on things that they like about themselves.  For me, physically, that would be my hair, my legs, my hands and my smile.  When I get complimented on things I feel insecure about, I don't know why, but I seem incapable of responding graciously.  I can't seem to just be glad that someone appreciates something I don't love about myself.  I've actually had to train myself to not negate compliments on, oh, my butt, for example.

One of the more masterful compliments I've received recently was on my glasses.  I was sitting at a bar and this boy told me that I had sexy glasses - and that is so smart because that not only compliments my appearance, but my personal taste as well.

But the ones with real game - they know to dig deeper.  They go beyond the superficial.

Me, I'm very, very vain about my intelligence.  If a guy tells me he's impressed with the number of languages I speak, my awesome accent for when I'm speaking his native language, what strong analytical skills I have, what good insight I have, how astute I am, how observant I am, and so on - I fall for those every single time.

And you - what do you like to be complimented on?

No comments: