Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Smut of Choice - Lainey Gossip

Someone once asked me who I admire most. Apart from a couple family members, I think the people who have inspired me most are those who were from where I'm from and have succeeded. Examples include Bonnie Fuller (I don't care what people say about her; she's a genius at increasing circulation), Jay Manuel (who is beautiful and went to my high school!) and Elaine "Lainey" Lui of Lainey Gossip.

Like me, Lainey is a Chinese girl from Toronto, and she also studied French like I do, at my university. She, too, grew up watching Miss Hong Kong pageants and has a mother with, um, strong opinions and a penetrating voice. Love her. Love her writing.

I first heard of her maybe two years or so ago when my mom read me a profile on Lainey in one of the Chinese newspapers. My mom absolutely loves to read the news to me - she would read articles to me about kidnapped children to scare me from running from away from her in public when I was small, and now she likes to read articles to me about successful people who were in a similar situation to me.

That was when I started reading Lainey regularly, and of course, I loved her column instantly. I got hoooked and had to have my daily fix right away. Then later, I realized that a couple other friends read her too, and my friend/roommate Sabrina and I loved to discuss the celeb gossip we read on Lainey Gossip together. Now, we've progressed onto reading the guesses for the blind items on the Lainey Lurv Facebook group. It's so much fun!

If you're interested in celebrity gossip written in a unique voice with really insightful analysis, along with a generous helping of "mom anecdotes" (any Margaret Cho fans out there?), definitely go check her out.

3 comments:

Sabrina said...

Jezebel did a fun Margaret Cho interview a couple of days ago - you may want to check out

Sabrina said...

Also, just realized that they posted the trailer for Cho's reality show today: http://jezebel.com/5036658/as-expected-the-cho-show-looks-amazing?autoplay=true

Tina said...

OMG, I can't wait to watch that show!!! Will definitely have a look.