Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Shoe Theories

Is "edgy" really code for "stylishly ugly"?

I admit I'm kind of a selfish fashion admirer. In order for me to fall in love with a piece or an accessory, I have to be able to picture it in my life. By that I mean, I have to think that it can fit into my lifestyle (after all, don't labels want you to like their products enough to buy them so they can make money?), which then sort of implies just a hint of practicality.

Don't get me wrong, I have my own little collection of L2L (lobby-to-limo/limo-to-lobby) shoes. But I can walk in them and last at the very least a half hour on my feet in them. Despite my legendary prowess in walking in ridiculously high shoes, however, I don't think I'd be able to handle these (nor am I even tempted to try):
I apologize to the spirit of Louis Vuitton (although I guess he never really set out to sell shoes) but these are not beautiful. I hate, hate, hate the platform trend. I think it should have been left in the 90s along with Spicemania. They look like stripper shoes - so not classy. I also really don't like how 5-inch+ heels are de rigeur these days. I'm of the opinion that over 4-inches on a shoe is heading into tranny hooker territory. So platforms that are 5-inches+ in height totally repulse me.

Having said that, a very well-respected artist told me last week that as long as a creation has a meaning behind it, it is art. I agree with him, and I definitely believe that fashion is an art form. Maybe all platforms/5-inch+ shoes/5-inch+ platforms all have special meanings behind them to their designers - in which case I may be persuaded to buy them and put them on display in my house in a cabinet or a pedestal or something.
But to buy them to wear? The most organic way for a Fashion Girl to consummate her relationship with a pair of shoes? Definitely not.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Soap Heiress:

I like your blog and I think you seem witty, fun, and fabulous!

I am a representative from Neiman Marcus Group and we are looking for talented, witty, and passionate candidates to hire. I work for the Neiman Marcus Group I am wondering if you are interested in looking for a career opportunity. Follow the link online:

http://www.neimanmarcuscareers.com/index.shtml

Luxury.Fashion.Prestige.Passion. These are what our company is about. I am assuming you know what our company is. We are only looking for serious candidates who have the drive. Do you think you got it?

Cheers,

Fan from NY