Wednesday, November 10, 2010

"Are you single?"

When I first started my Youtube channel, I made a video with tips for visa applicants.  I had just applied for my second European visa in preparation to come here (Spain), and I thought the information I learned might be useful for anyone going on exchange or thinking of working abroad. 

I had no idea what I was getting myself into!


Since then, I've received a barrage of e-mails from people, all from third world countries, asking me for shortcuts and loopholes and/or just help to get their applications passed, like I'm a multicountry embassy or something.  I was in way over my head, because when I originally made that video, the audience I had in mind were mostly other fellow North Americans/Australians/New Zealanders/Europeans/people from countries that wouldn't have any trouble getting a visa - I talked about planning well, cautioning about bureaucracies, etc. 

But now, working in an international company headquarters, I know that Spain has a list of countries whose people they just WON'T grant visas to (often because they'll just stay here illegally beyond the expiry, etc.) and a list that they sometimes (but rarely) grant visas to.  And if Spain has such a list, I'm betting that most - if not all - countries do, too.  The first list is mainly comprised of third world countries, of course.

I probably should have mentioned that I'm really not an immigration expert and I'm absolutely NOT interested in helping anyone get anywhere illegally or through underhanded ways.

Then yesterday, I got this little gem - I'd put (sic) after every mistake, but it'd just impede the rhythm of your reading, so enjoy:


hi my name is ashkan 24boy from iran ..
I whant to go to europe for visiting france italy spain germany norvey..
So i need shingen visa some of my friends told me they never give visa
to singles :( so i whach your video on youtube ..
Are you single?
Wher are you from bicus you speek english like an american!
I hope you culd help me and im waiting for your answer..
Tnx.




Well, ashkan 24boy from iran..,

Thank you for whaching my video.  I am from Canada, which might explain why I speek english like an american.  I'm relieved that you didn't bother to read up that info on my profile, however, because it's right there.  But sorry, I culd not help you - your country's on List #2, so despite the fact that you whant to go to Europe, it is likely that you will run into a host of problems, although your singledom probably won't have anything to do with it.

And my marital status is none of your business.

Good luck with your visa application.

Sincerely,
Me. 

No comments: