Saturday, November 6, 2010

The Chocolate Rhythm

When most people say that they are addicted to chocolate, other people just think that they just must really, really like to eat it.  It's goes further than that with me...I think I might really have a problem.  I'm surprised that I haven't written about it more here, actually.  I'd inject Nutella if I could, although I suppose that would defeat the purpose of tasting it. 

Just like at home, Commercial Land is kind of hyperactive here.  Several days after Todos los Santos (November 1st, which is a holiday here), stores start getting stocked with Christmas things.  Now that December is getting closer and closer, all the supermarkets here are getting filled to bursting with chocolate sweets, most notably an absolute ton of turrón, which is basically nougat, and all kinds of chocolates.

All kinds!  And it's all the good stuff from Europe that I love to eat at home, but it's cheaper because Spain is closer to Belgium and Switzerland and Germany and Italy than Canada is.  I just bought a 16-piece box of Ferrero Rocher for 3.90 €, which would retail at home between $6-8.  ¡Olé!

But that was when I started missing the Chocolate Rhythm at home.  Did you know that chocolate has a rhythm in Canada?  Because there is.  And it's a beautiful one, with its graceful ebbs and flows of brown, creamy deliciousness.


It's a cycle, but I like to count from Halloween because it's my favourite holiday and because it is THE candy day of the year.  Halloween candy hits the stores in about September in Canada.  That's when there is the most variety.  But you should never, ever cave and get Halloween packs of candy at that time - you're much better off getting the regular packages - because you'll get way less value for your money.

No, you should wait until Todos los Santos - November 1st! - when all the candies go on sale!  It's a beautiful, beatiful thing, because stores always overstock.  And the Rhythm benefits  you even more if you like candy that is not popular because those are always the last to go and so their prices are slashed lowest.  The prices drop as Halloween becomes more and more distant, until Christmas chocolates hit the stores.


Then you should hold out on those until Boxing Day (December 26th, for my non-North-American readers), because then the prices drop dramatically for chocolates again.  You should particularly take advantage of the ones that are blatantly packaged for the holiday - the ones with Santa Claus/holly/Christmas trees on the packaging, or the mint chocolates, which are my personal favourite.

*A caveat: I would wait until December 27th to hit the stores, though, because everything goes on sale for just one day on Boxing Day in Canada, so to go shopping then would mean you're signing yourself up for getting elbowed by massive crowds of cheap people.  Personally, I'd prefer poring happily over my presents on Boxing Day, next to the fireplace with a cup of hot chocolate (with marshmallows!) in my hands as I watch the snow drift outside, before heading out on the 27th to make my chocolate kills.

Then after Christmas, in mid-January, the stores get overstocked in Valentines Day stuff!  There are all kinds of overpriced chocolates in heart-shaped boxes, shaped into bouquets, and so on.  Wait until February 15th, and you will have your pick of price-reduced chocolates.  Again, take advantage of the ones that are specifically packaged for Valentines Day because then they can't put them back on the shelf for full price - they have to go on sale.

After that there is Easter, which is wonderful, and then Mother's Day, which is also fairly chocolatey in Canada.

And that, my friends, is Canada's Chocolate Rhythm. :D

No comments: