Friday, November 5, 2010

If I Won the Lottery...

My family's favourite game to play is the If I Won the Lottery Game.  Every so often, when we're all together, one of us will initiate it randomly and tell everyone what they'd do if they won the lottery.  One of my aunts has always said that if one day, she calls us and says to meet at the airport, we'll know what's going on.  And no one even has to bring anything but their passport - we'll all decide where to go once we meet up.  I love this game!

For as long as I could remember, I knew exactly what I would do, and I have my decision down pat...

I'd keep half of it for myself, give my mom a quarter of it, then split the last quarter into seven parts: a part for my Aunt J, a part for my Aunt S, a part for my Aunt K, a part to split between my Uncle Sam and brother, a part for my grandparents, a part for charities (to be decided) and a part for treating my best friends.

What I would do with my own half changes all the time.  At this point in my life, the first thing I'd do would be I'd pay off my student loans and my car.  If I were really impulsive I might upgrade my plane ticket home to business class...but I probably wouldn't.  I would, however, take myself out on a mini shopping spree, go out to eat as much as I want for the rest of my stay in Spain, and I'd maybe take my mom to Andalucia or Barcelona when she comes to visit me.  Or I'd put her up in a hotel so she wouldn't have to sleep in my awful, uncomfortable bed.   Or I'd get myself a real mattress here in Spain, just a cheap one that isn't as paper thin as the one I have now.   And I'd definitely put aside a little bit to invest with - something steady that I wouldn't have to keep my eye on all the time, like maybe Canada Savings Bonds.  And I'd plan a trip to Japan around my birthday...maybe even plan to go to Japan for six months to learn Japanese with my mum...

What would you do? :D

No comments: