Tuesday, April 23, 2013

20DC23: 10 Unexpected Traits

Image Source
1.) I used to love playing with “boys’ toys” – transformers, carpentry sets, cars, airplanes, monsters, everything.

Image Source
2.) I’m not afraid of bugs. Okay, I don’t like centipedes/millipedes and growing up in Canada, I’ve never had to
contend with huge bugs before (like the palm-long, flying cockroaches my mom and aunts tell me about from their days in Hong Kong) but I generally am okay with them. I even welcome spiders in my homes because they take care of the other bugs for me!

Image Source
3.) (As I’ve mentioned before) I’m a light packer. There’s an automatic assumption that girly girls like to overpack; this is not necessarily true. The truly smart ones save room in their luggage for mobility and for foreign purchases!

Image Source
4.) I love urban contemporary music – rap, hip hop, r&b, soul, Caribbean, latin – I love it all and I love it a lot. Most people seem to be surprised to hear that I love rap because they tend to assume that I listen exclusively to gay boy music such as bubblegum pop, pop ballads, and such. I like it, but if I could only listen to one kind of music for the rest of my life, it’d be urban, and if I had to pick a subtype, it’d be rap. This is probably because I grew up listening to what my brother listened to, because obviously, what he liked was cool. :P This is also why I love The Simpsons and Fresh Prince!

Image Source
 5.) I’m more of a saver than a spender. I keep a strict budget of everything. For someone who has a blog with the tagline “Eat. Buy. Sleep.” this seems really weird, but I’m actually a very practical person – some would say pragmatic. I love buying things and services, but I’m also very careful with my money. I’ve never had any consumer debt before, and I’m on the fast track to repaying my student loans – am hoping to have it all taken care of by the end of 2014!

Image Source
 6.) I can’t do hair to save my life. People sometimes compliment me on my hair, which is very kind, but the truth is that all I do is wash (and occasionally condition) it. I just have a good stylist who gives me a good wash & go style. But I have so much hair that it practically has its own personality.

Image Source
7.) I hate Sudoku. My love for crosswords and general nerdgirlness suggest that I may love Sudoku as well, but I do not.

Image Source
8.) I like ice cream better than gelato. Many food gourmands tout gelato as superior – because it’s from Europe, because it’s denser, because the flavours are supposedly more intense, etc. But I like ice cream better because I like that it’s slower to melt, I like that it’s richer and creamier (due to a higher fat content), and I like that it has a fluffier “body” because it contains more air.

These are my natural nails - who'd know that I used to bite them?
 9.) I’m a reformed nail biter.

no makeup = colourless face
10.) I rarely wear makeup, although I love shopping for it and talk about it a lot! Part of it is laziness – I’d much rather sleep to the last second possible than wake up early to apply my face. Part of it is because I hate to be rushed. I’m the kind of woman who likes to enjoy her boudoir. I can easily spend a whole morning (or even most of a day!) relaxing and pampering myself with various treatments before I leisurely apply my makeup and put on my carefully selected outfit to go out!

No comments: