Monday, April 22, 2013

30DC22: 3 Things I'm Proud of

Image Source
Gosh, I guess I’m just supposed to brag about myself in this post, aren’t I? Here goes!




Image Source
My determination
I’m a very determined person. When I have it in my head that I want to do something, there are no limitations. I will do whatever it takes and I am willing to bust my butt – I will work harder than anyone else to achieve what I want. It’s exactly what has enabled me to make enough money in 4 months to live on for half a year in Europe (I worked 3 jobs while finishing school), it’s what has enabled me to lose 55lbs. the healthy way, and it is what I tapped into to get an appointment for Sweetheart with the top orthopaedic surgeon in Toronto, whose assistant had been ignoring him for 6 months.  A concept I live by is that there are a lot of things I can't control - what other people do/think, what circumstances you're born into, etc. - but one thing I can control is how hard I work for what I want.

Image Source
My cosmopolitan-ness
I’m not referring to the languages I speak, although I’m proud of that too, but my ability to appreciate other people’s cultures. I can be anywhere in the world and I will gladly learn about their customs/ways of life, I will enjoy myself, and I can make friends. I think a large part of it has to do with the fact that I’m Canadian. People who self-identify first and foremast as Canadian don’t have the kind of cultural baggage that a lot of people from certain parts of the world do. I feel that people raised in countries where children are trained to be very nationalistic grow up less equipped to be able to fully appreciate and embrace other cultures.

Image Source
My writing
I don’t think I’m going to win a Pulitzer or anything, nor do I think I’m the next Emma Forrest (although OMG I LOVE HER SO MUCH), but when I look back on things I’ve written before – blog posts, essays, journal entries, etc. – I think I always capture exactly the right tone and exactly the essence of what I was feeling at the time.

No comments: