Tuesday, April 9, 2013

30DC9: My Handwriting

I promise I didn't filter this image, even though it looks totally Instagrammed!
I think my handwriting is “artistically messy” and kind of androgynous – it’s not obviously written by a man or a woman – and I like that. I’ve never been a loopy, circly, sub-hearts-for-dots kind of writer. As a kid I used to dislike my writing because I thought it looked harsh, but I’ve come to like it more and more, especially when a university classmate stood over my desk to watch me take notes once because he said my handwriting was “kinda beautiful.”

When I write, I always print because
I like the no-frills-ness of printing, it’s faster to produce, and I like that my pen can leave the paper, allowing my hand and arm more movement. I find that, for some reason, my hands start hurting rather quickly when I write cursive because I tend to grip the pen much tighter. Also, I don’t like my cursive writing unless I write v-e-e-e-r-y slowly and carefully, but who has the time for that? But just in the matter of interest, here is what my cursive writing looks like.
Because I’m shameless, here is a picture of my Chinese handwriting. It is very boxy, just like a child’s writing, because I don’t write frequently enough to have developed character in my penmanship.
One of my favourite poems in the world

And because Sweetheart is a Serb, here is my Cyrillic handwriting! This is about all I can manage at my current level of independent study and apparently there are grammatical and spelling errors here - thank you, Google Translate!  Please don't ask me to pronounce any of these...but these are three true statements.

No comments: